For over 20 years I've been collecting stories, photographs, interviews, out of print books and researching various aspects of the human history of Algonquin Park in Ontario Canada. In other words, capturing voices from the past. In the fall of 2020, I launched my podcast 'Algonquin Defining Moments' to both complement my published books but also to continue my mission of sharing stories, recollections, traditions, landmarks and other fun Algonquin Park human heritage curiosities. In this way that those who share my passion for everything Algonquin Park can listen to snippets of the park and its people while commuting, walking, cooking, working around the house or even just meditating on the back deck. Enjoy! Gaye Clemson
Thursday Sep 29, 2022
Thursday Sep 29, 2022
Episode 43: What Good is a Wolf PT4 - More of John and Mary Theberge's Great Leap Research
This episode continues by sharing the 1987-1999 work of Dr. John Theberge and his wife Mary Theberge. In this episode, I’m going to focus on the uncovering of the annual deer migration and the collective freak-out that this caused amongst the people of the Round Lake area, the Ministry officials, the Theberge’s themselves, and eventually the general public of wolf lovers and protectors.
The list of references that have informed much of this and the previous episode includes:
- John and Mary Theberge’s 1998 book Wolf Country
- Theberge, J. B., and M. T. Theberge. 2004. The Wolves of Algonquin Park, A 12-year Ecological Study, University of Waterloo, Department of Geography
- Several Raven Newsletter articles including:
- Kill the Wolves and Kill the Park Aug 5, 1993, Vo 34, #7
- Is Algonquin big enough for its most famous animal? June 26, 1997, Vol 38 NO 2
- The Best Wolf is a Wild Wolf August 14, 1997, Vol 28 No 9
- A Wolfian Trilogy - Part 1: The Bite that shook our Faith July 15, 1999, Vol 40 # 4
- A Wolf Trilogy Part 3: You Red it Here First July 29, 1999, Vol. 40 No. 6
This musical interlude is another wolf track called “Play Fight” from Dan Gibson’s Solitudes Legend of the Wolf CD and brought to us with the approval of Digital Funding LLC. Solitudes music can be found where ever you get your music streaming.